An NC Miata with modest modifications has just lapped the world's most famous road course faster than many supercars. The slightly modified Miata laid down a 7:49:74 lap time. That is faster than some Lamborghinis and Porsches according to Top 100 Lap Records.
The third-generation, NC Miata was driven by Koenigsegg's test driver, Robert Serwansk, according to Motor Authority. Serwansk is no stranger to racetracks or to Miatas. He has raced MX-5s in the past and at one time held the lap record at Spa
The Miata had the following modifications. Note that very few are what would be considered unusual for a street car:
- ECU Remap
- Full Exhaust and CAI
- Larger coolant radiator
- 225/45 16 track tyres, road legal
- New Coilovers with 13/7 Springs
- Aftermarket ARB front, no ARB rear.
- Uprated Brake Pads, 2 piece discs (oem size) and racing fluid
- Carbon fibre seat for driver and passenger
- 6 Point belt for driver, 4-point for passenger
- Aftermarket steering wheel
- Approx 1100kg incl ½tank of fuel and 83kg driver (subject for improvement).
- 5 speed with close ratios. 2nd gear syncro was bad so only used it in two corners while I would have like to use it in a few more.
- Light flywheel, OEM clutch
- No LSD (yes, open diff on this one).
- Welded, cro-moly rollbar
- CF Roof (not retractable anymore)
- Tubular front subframe and some reinforcements/bracing underneath