GMC has been promising that its all-new 2022 GMC Hummer EV will be revolutionary and its does look spectacular. When the all-electric truck, labeled Edition 1, finally rolls off the line late next year, it will have the best of what GM has to offer. The supertruck will have a range of 350 miles on a single charge, and its three-motors will combine to produce GM-estimated best-in-class 1,000 horsepower and GM-estimated 11,500 lb.-ft. of torque. Edition 1 Hummers will sell for a whopping $112,595 with cheaper, less equipped versions to follow.
“This innovative truck comes to market with speed and purpose, bringing GM another step closer to an all-electric future,” said Mark Reuss, president of General Motors. “With our Ultium Drive architecture as the foundation for an exceptionally broad range of performance, HUMMER EV is perfect for the customer who wants capability, efficiency and performance.”
Ultium Power and Platform
The 2022 GMC Hummer EV will use GM’s new Ultium batteries and be built on the new Ultium platform. The same platform will support other Hummer versions like an SUV down the road. Three separate motors within two Ultium drive units will give HUMMER EV’s e4WD remarkable on- and off-road capabilities, all with zero emissions.
“The GMC HUMMER EV is revolutionary, defying what the industry thinks of as a pickup truck,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global Buick and GMC. “The Edition 1’s tailored off-road content will make HUMMER EV’s unprecedented capability and zero-emissions a very special proposition for customers.”
GMC Hummer EV Special Features
- Infinity Roof with removable Sky Panels. GMC teased this feature early on. The expansive roof gives an open-air driving experience.
- Crab Walk giving the Hummer the ability to steer all four wheels. The segment-exclusive feature enables the Hummer to move at a diagonal at low speeds. This gives the driver better maneuverability on challenging terrain.
- Adaptive Air Suspension allows the suspension height to be raised approximately 6 inches to help the HUMMER EV negotiate extreme off-road situations such as clearing boulders or fording water.
- UltraVision adds new front and rear underbody cameras with live “virtual spotter” views to help drivers navigate obstacles on and off the trail. The underbody cameras are packaged to help protect against damage and equipped with a wash function to help clear debris. Up to 18 camera views are available.
- Large, 13.4-inch diagonal infotainment screen and 12.3-inch diagonal driver information center make it easier to access information.
- Quick Charging. Industry-first technology mechanically switches the batteries from parallel to series mode during charging, which makes HUMMER EV compatible with the fastest 350 kW DC fast chargers, enabling nearly 100 miles of range in 10 minutes of charging.
- MultiPro Tailgate with six different positions. The Hummer EV gets the most functional tailgate on the market.
- Power rear drop glass window and power tonneau cover.
- Super Cruise. The GMC Hummer EV will have the latest edition of GM’s driver assistance. They don’t call it auto-pilot but it enables hands-free driving on most roads. Super Cruise requires the driver to remain engaged.
“We had one goal for HUMMER EV: Build the most capable factory truck - ever,” said Al Oppenheiser, GMC HUMMER EV chief engineer. “It’s an absolute off-road beast with a unique e4WD drive system that provides maneuverability unlike anything GM has ever offered before.”
Every GMC HUMMER EV Edition 1 will be identically appointed and fully equipped. Each features a white exterior and a unique Lunar Horizon interior, with special “Edition 1” interior badging.
GMC is already taking reservations for the 2022 Hummer EV Edition 1. Future cheaper versions will debut in 2022 and 2023. The Hummer EV supertruck will be built at what GM is now calling Factory ZERO. GM announced this week that it is investing $2.2 billion into the Detroit-Hamtramck plant to build the Hummer and other future vehicles on the Ultium platform. All of the vehicles will have zero emissions. Production on the 2022 GMC Hummer EV Edition 1 will begin late next year.
Follow Mary Conway at @maryconwaymedia and send her car news tips for future stories.