Details Announced on 2012 Hyundai Azera at Los Angeles Auto Show
The Lambda II 3.3-liter GDI engine is the heart of the 2012 Azera. It produces a best-in-class specific output of 88.8 horsepower per liter, while having the smallest displacement V6 in the segment. This engine has a high-pressure direct injection system (over 2,200 psi), which dramatically increases power and torque, while reducing fuel consumption and emissions. It is rated at 293 horsepower and 255 lb. ft. of torque.
The engine is mated to Hyundai's six-speed automatic transmission with shifttronic manual control. Azera's powertrain also has an Active Eco mode, which modifies engine and transmission control for improved fuel economy that translates into more than a 5 percent improvement in real-world fuel economy.
Safety in the Azera is being enhanced by structurally improved seats. Hyundai engineers have developed an impact-reducing seat system for the Azera that eliminates the need for active front head restraints and is expected to reduce head and neck injuries by 17 percent over the front seats in the previous generation, which had active front head restraints. This result is achieved through optimization of seat back structure to further absorb impacts.
Hyundai is comparing the Azera to the Buick LaCrosse, Nissan Maxima, Toyota Avalon, Ford Taurus, Lexus ES 350 and Acura TL. The Azera has estimated fuel economy of 20-mpg city and 29-mpg highway for a combined fuel economy of 23 mpg. That puts it on par with the TL and Avalon for best-in-class fuel economy.
Other highlights of the 2012 Hyundai Azera include:
- • Nine standard airbags – includes knee airbag
- • Impact-reducing front seat system
- • Standard VSM, ESC, TCS, ABS with Brake Assist and EBD
- • Best-in-class head and leg room for front-seat passengers
- • Standard 18-inch alloy wheels and optional 19-inch alloy wheels
- • HID Xenon headlights with LED accents
- • Segment-exclusive standard navigation system with rearview camera
- • Standard leather interior with heated front and rear seats
- • Bluetooth® hands-free phone system with voice recognition
- • Standard Blue Link telematics platform
- • Segment-first manual side window sunshades
- • Ventilated front seats
The exterior of the all-new Azera is long, light and low. The unique, undulating beltline allows for a long, sleek roofline accented by the third window and wraparound LED taillights. A monoform side profile includes flowing lines. The face is masculine with a large powerful chrome grille and HID headlamps that integrate precise details. The stance is completed by available 19-inch multi-spoke wheels.