Until before 2016, talking about GLE within the Mercedes slang had no meaning, but all change when Daimler decided to give a big change to its mid-size SUV, starting with its name because it left behind the ML name to give welcome to the three letters: the GLE. A few years later, when the model was already established in the market, the Mercedes GLE debuted its second generation and has now prepared a mid-cycle commercial update. From what I understand there will be another update in 2023 as well.
Let's start with some of the highlights of the 2022 model year of the GLE 450 4MATIC.
Some of the highlights in the model year 2022 include the following. In the vehicle the Adaptive Highbeam Assist is now offered as a standard. New upholstery options include Espresso Brown/Black Leather and White/Black Nappa Leather. Cirrus Silver paint is also now available.
The 2022 model year of the GLE 450 4MATIC's aesthetics are slightly modified. These changes are already common in the restyling introduced by Mercedes in recent years. The front is slightly revised, as well as the rear. There are new bumpers. The grille is redesigned. The headlights are redesigned as well. As I mentioned above in the highlights section, all of these changes are complemented by new exterior colors and wheels whose variety will be expanded down the road offering buyers a wide range of possibilities either in this body or in its more stylish variant: the GLE Coupé.
The evolution is discreet. The GLE's front lights seem to be thinned out slightly inward, giving the vehicle a sharper look. There is a new light signature inside the optical unites, especially when you turn on the high-beams. The curtain-like opening of high-beams is gone, which I liked very much in the 2021 model year GLE 450.
The changes look even more timid at the rear with the new design of LED lighting within similarly shaped lights. New rim styles, body colors and upholstery finishes also enrich the options catalog.
The interior is luminous and spacious. The main changes here in the 2022 GLE 450 is the new steering wheel and the MBUX infotainment system, which is supported by two linked screens. Of course, it is updated by the latest version available giving the driver lots of different types of comforts and latest driving aids.
The second row seats are very comfortable and passengers have plenty of legroom. In fact, even tall adults have plenty of space here - here the GLE has the edge over the BMW X5 and other competitors.
The 2022 GLE models start from $55,700 MSRP and go to $80,200 for the GLE 580 4MATIC SUV. The 2022 GLE 450 4MATIC SUV, which we are reviewing this week, starts with $65,500 MSRP and offers lots of good options in its standard version.
Models & MSRP
- Mercedes-Benz GLE 350 SUV $55,700
- Mercedes-Benz GLE 350 4MATIC SUV $58,200
- Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 4MATIC SUV $63,500
- Mercedes-Benz GLE 580 4MATIC SUV $80,200
- Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 SUV $73,550
Here are the standard features available for the base $65,500 MSRP of 2022 GLE 450 4MATIC.
- 3.0L I-6 Engine
- 9-spd auto w/OD Transmission
- 362 @ 5,500 rpm Horsepower
- 369 @ 1,600 rpm Torque
- 4MATIC all wheel Drive type
- ABS and driveline Traction control
- 1st row regular express open/close sliding and tilting glass Sunroof
- 19" silver aluminum Wheels
- Front air conditioning, dual zone automatic
- Driver and front passenger heated-cushion, heated-seatback Heated front seats
- SiriusXM AM/FM/HD/Satellite, seek-scan Radio
- 2 - 1st row LCD monitor
- Keyfob (all doors) Remote keyless entry
- Rear Fog/driving lights
- Heated mirrors
- Windshield wipers - rain sensing
- MB-Tex leatherette Seat trim
- Driver and passenger Lumbar support
- MBUX with voice activation Navigation system
- Active Parking Assist Parking assist
Engine and Power
For the above-mentioned price you get the I-6 Inline engine. It's a 3.0 inline-6 Turbot with 48-Volt Mild Hybrid system. In fact, this 48-Volt onboard electrical system technology is one of the main technical highlights of the 2022 GLE 450 4MATIC. Mercedes explains that the engines found in the GLE 450 4MATIC, GLE 580 4MATIC and AMG GLE 53 are supplemented with a powerful and efficient Integrated-Starter Generator. "This integrated electric motor system assists the combustion engine by adding up to 21 hp for short periods of time. It also assists when accelerating, making driving without the combustion engine turned on possible ("sailing") and supplies the battery with power by means of high-efficiency recuperation. By doing so, it makes fuel savings possible that were previously the exclusive domain of high-voltage hybrid technology," reads the release from the company.
Other Highlights of the 2022 GLE 450 4MATIC include:
- E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL: which is an all-new available suspension system powered in part by the 48V battery and developed by Mercedes-Benz.
- Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX): which is Daimler's new multimedia system featuring Artificial Intelligence and an intuitive operating system. This multimedia system has an MBUX Interior Assistant, which allows MBUX functions by movement recognition.
- Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC®, which enables the vehicle to follow a vehicle in front at a pre-selected distance.
- Active Stop-and-Go Assist that recognizes traffic jams, supporting the driver in stop-and-go traffic up to approximately 37 mph.
- Active Steering Assist, which intervenes even if road lines are unclear.
- Active Emergency Stop Assist.
- Active Lane Change Assist.
- Active Speed Limit Assist.
- And more.
Softness is the first thing that characterizes the driving experience of the 2022 Mercedes GLE 450 4MATIC. Compared to AMG, I would say, why spend more? The AMG is usually heavier, more greedy and less powerful than the standard GLE 450. While reviewing the 2022 GLE 450 4MATIC I love the creamy mechanics. I find the interior design and connectivity impressive and the exterior look devastatingly beautiful.
In town, the big vehicle behaves like any other luxury SUV. Comfortable, well soundproofed, easy to drive, the GLE 450 AMG 4MATIC remains an accessible vehicle for the average driver. Thankfully, the electronics take care of stirring the sauce a bit.
The GLE 450 AMG 4MATIC is not a speed dealer like its big brother the GLE 63 S, but despite everything 0 to 60 mph only takes a few seconds, less than 6 to be more precise: a ridiculous time for a vehicle of this size. If the SUV's agility improves depending on the mode chosen, it is still necessary to respect the laws of physics, especially in the curves taken at high speed. When it comes to competitors, the BMW X5 drives more sportily, the Mercedes GLE wins in comfort. Overall, the GLE 450 AMG remains a large SUV that is easy to handle on a daily basis. Therefore, its success with the public is not only due to the star that sits in the middle of the radiator grille.
Armen Hareyan is the founder and the Editor in Chief of Torque News. He founded TorqueNews.com in 2010, which since then has been publishing expert news and analysis about the automotive industry. He can be reached at Torque News Twitter, Facebok, Linkedin and Youtube.
Reference: Mercedes Media.
Images by Armen Hareyan.