Mazda3s 2.5 Touring no longer available with manual for 2016
For 2015, Mazda offered its Mazda3S Touring models with the larger, 2.5-liter engine with a manual six-speed transmission. If you were waiting for that combination, we hope you jumped at the chance because for 2016 it is going away. Buyers will still be able to get the manual in the Grand Touring version though. The award-winning Mazda3 will continue on in 2016 with many other small changes. In our earlier report, we detailed how the new 2016 model Mazda3 will package more content into the vehicle and how prices are basically unchanged. The 2016 Mazda3 will start at $17,845. Note that Mazda3i indicates the smaller, 2.0 liter engine (155 hp), and Mazda3S indicates the larger 2.5-liter (184 hp) engine.
2016 Mazda3 Changes
The first notable change is that Mazda is dropping one of its trim levels. The Mazda 3i SV goes away. The Sport will be the base model going into 2016. In terms of basic content, all Mazda3 cars will now have rear-view cameras. The auto-dimming mirror has been made standard on all Mazda3i Grand Touring and Mazda3S Touring models. All Mazda3i Touring models also now come with moon-roof, illuminated vanity mirrors, and overhead console with sunglasses holder.
2016 Mazda3 Package Changes
For 2016, Mazda will offer the Sport with the Preferred Equipment Package containing the following:
• Alloy wheels
• Heated body-color dual power door mirrors with integrated turn signal lamps
• Rear seat armrest with cupholders
• Auto on/off headlights
• Rain-sensing windshield wipers
• Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
The Mazda3 Touring Popular Equipment Package will consist of:
• Auto-dimming interior mirror
• Dual-zone (driver and front passenger) automatic climate control system
• BOSE® nine-speaker surround sound system with Centerpoint® 2 and AutoPilot® 2
• SiriusXM satellite radio with four-month subscription
• CD player
• Shark fin antenna
• Auto on/off headlights and rain-sensing windshield wipers standard on all Mazda3 Touring and Grand Touring four- and five-door models
The new, 2016 Mazda3 goes on sale in late summer 2015.
Note: This story was updated a few hours after publication.