Next Time You Speed, This 2023 Chevrolet Silverado May be Chasing You
With crime on the rise nationwide, it is more important than ever that police have the equipment they need to catch criminals. One crime we see playing out over and over again is vehicle theft. Now, police will have a new weapon in their arsenal. Chevrolet is building a new 2023 Silverado Police Pursuit Vehicle. Chevrolet has been outfitting the Chevrolet Tahoe Police Pursuit Vehicle for 25 years. The new Silverado Police truck is designed to operate at high speeds and will build on those years of experience.
“We are constantly having conversations with customers and evaluating how we can better meet their needs,” said Ed Peper, U.S. vice president of GM Fleet. “Our 25 years of engineering Tahoe police pursuit vehicles coupled with Chevrolet’s 100 years of truck success, puts us in a great position to deliver a truly capable Silverado PPV for our customers.”
2023 Silverado Police Pursuit Vehicle
The 2023 Silverado Police Pursuit Vehicle is a crew-cab, short-bed, four-wheel drive truck designed for high speeds and dynamic capability with the added comfort and storage capacity needed for an everyday patrol vehicle.
The Silverado PPV builds on the Tahoe PPV’s reputation for performance. Highlights include a 355-horsepower 5.3L V-8 engine, standard 10-speed automatic transmission and six-piston Brembo brake front calipers with 16-inch rotors for increased brake durability. Performance is optimized with a standard heavy-duty engine air filter.
To make sure the truck performs well at top speeds, the Silverado PPV features a certified speedometer, 20-inch black steel wheels just like the Tahoe PPV and 20-inch Goodyear all-terrain speed-rated tires. The turning radius is an impressive 46.9 feet.
Built to Handle Tough Off Road Situations
The Silverado PPV is impressive off road. The truck comes standard with:
- Rancho shocks, included with the Silverado’s proven Z71 off-road package
- Locking rear differential
- Skid plate
- An available 2-inch lifted suspension further bolsters the Silverado PPV’s off-road credentials and sets it apart from the competition. It enables the available best-in-class 11.35-inch ground clearance and increases approach angle to an impressive 25.9 degrees.
Built to handle difficult towing duties, the Silverado PPV can transport trailers for marine and mounted divisions. The Silverado PPV comes standard with a 9,300-pound max towing capacity.
The 2023 Chevrolet Silverado PPV is Built to be Upfitted
General Motors organized an official Law Enforcement Product Council over two decades ago to learn directly from officers how they can effectively perform their duties behind the wheel. Ranking law enforcement officers and civilian fleet managers make up the council, and all have been instrumental in Chevrolet’s police vehicle programs over the years. As a result, Chevrolet knows the importance of offering vehicles that can easily be upfitted.
The 2023 Chevrolet Silverado PPV offers:
- Auxiliary wiring circuits for easy installation of wiring to connect the truck’s horn and siren.
- Surveillance Mode circuit that allows an upfitter to easily install lighting control. Once a third party installs the wiring, the circuit enables control over the truck’s exterior and interior lighting, allowing for discretion while on patrol.
- Five upfitter switches for simple linking to the controls used most frequently.
- Optional deletion of front center seat so departments can customize the cockpit of their vehicle to meet their needs.
- LED or halogen spot lamps.
- To help reduce customer costs and upfit time, the truck is equipped with standard head and taillamp flashers.
The Silverado PPV includes a 220-amp alternator and two 120-volt outlets to help officers keep their digital devices charged while on the road. An optional upfitter switch bank is also available with three 30-amp and two 20-amp circuits for emergency equipment. The interior storage can be easily configured allowing the police department to decide how to use the 129.8 cubic feet of combined interior space.
The 5-foot 8-inch truck bed with the available hard tri-fold tonneau cover enables weatherproof storage for cargo that should be stored separate from the interior cab for officer safety. Twelve standard welded tie-downs help officers secure items in the bed. Paired with the standard corner-step rear bumper and an optional multi-flex tailgate, officers can access cargo more easily.
Keeping Officers Safe
Safety features work to help law enforcement stay in control and avoid collisions. The Chevrolet Safety Assist package features Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Alert, Following Distance Indicator, Automatic Emergency Braking and Front Pedestrian Braking. If desired, IntelliBeam headlamps automatically operate high beams at speeds above 12 mph until the system detects an approaching vehicle’s headlamps or a preceding vehicle’s taillamps.
Other available safety features include:
- Protected idle
- Adaptive cruise control
- Rear Park Assist
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert with Rear Cross Traffic Braking
- Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
The 2023 Silverado Police Pursuit Vehicle and the Special Service Vehicle will be available beginning late summer 2022.
Follow Mary Conway at @maryconwaymedia and send her car news tips for future stories.