How would you define success? It’s hard to do in the automotive world. It’s hard to do in starting a business, it’s hard to do in almost anything, but I think these statistics prove that the Chevy Volt is a success!
Since its launch in 2010 Chevy Volts have:
- Travelled over 1.2 Billion Miles
- 700,000,000 EV Miles
- 35,000,000 Gallons of gas Not SOLD (WOW!)
- Averaged over 900 miles between fill ups
- Became the Number #1 Plug in Hybrid in America
At this point, I was not aware of the great electric vehicle returns this car has put out. In a Bloomberg interview (not sure of when this aired) Elon Musk stated that the Volt was ½ electric and ½ gas and didn’t do either of them very well (I’m paraphrasing) so he obviously was a fan at the time. I was even skeptical when I drove the car back in 2009 (Pre-Launch) during GM Volt’s Roadshow to NYC when I was serving as the President of the NJ Electric Auto Association, which I founded.
The fact that the Volt fleet has saved over 35 Million Gallons of fuel must absolutely upset the oil industry. While on the surface that number of gallons over 5 years is insignificant to these corporate behemoths, it is significant in that it proves that PHEVs are really doing their part to reduce the amount of oil we use here in America.
The 700 million electric car miles miles is just beautiful and I’m so glad to see that many miles of gas free driving. To average over 900 miles between fill ups with the slow charger is another major feat as I would have thought a faster battery charger would have even improved on this already good set of numbers if they had a 30 amps charger vs. the 15 amp charger. This 900 miles range per tank full was using Chevy Volts 9 gallon gas tank! That works out to an average of over 100 miles per gallon on average! Now that is something everyone should start to take notice of! What other gas car is doing those kind of impressive MPGs?
Overall, the Chevy Volt has a great place in the lineup of PHEVs and is holding their own in the sales race.
- Why Aren't Consumers Willing to Buy Used Chevy Volts with Higher Mileage
- 2013 Chevrolet Volt Review: The Best EV in America Keeps Getting Better
- BMW i3 REx vs. Chevrolet Volt: two different approaches to plug-in hybrids
- 2016 Chevrolet Volt is better in almost every way, but two crucial unknowns remain