2011 BMW Frozen Black Edition M3 Coupe loses its shine for a limited run build
If response to the limited-run 2011 BMW Frozen Gray Edition M3 Coupe is any indication, the BMW Frozen Black Edition M3 Coupe should sell out quickly, the Frozen Gray model snapped up completely in fifteen minutes.
Like the Frozen Gray M3 Coupe, the Frozen Black has a special paint with a lustrous matte finish clear coat developed by BMW, the Frozen Gray's clear coat applied over gray paint, naturally enough, while the Frozen Black will have a black metallic base coat. As BMW puts it, the unique treatment provides "a deep metallic luster to accentuate the athletic lines of the legendary M3." BMW claims the paint meets all of the German carmaker's standards for durability and longevity and is covered by a full factory warranty. BMW notes, however, that special care is required to keep the paint from becoming glossy and will provide that information to owners.
The phone lines for ordering the first 19 of a 20 unit run will open at 11:30 AM Eastern time (8:30 AM Pacific) on Thursday, June 16, 2011. The cars will be available for delivery beginning in late June 2011, with production ending in late July 2011. The twentieth car will be held by BMW of North America "and may be sold at later date.
Like other 2011 BMW M3 models, the Frozen Black Edition M3 Coupe is powered by BMW's 4.0-liter 414-horsepower V8 that spins to a spine-tingling 8400 rpm. The Frozen Black Edition comes equipped with BMW's M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT). Zero-to-60 clocks in at 4.5 seconds.
So that the 2011 BMW Frozen Black Edition M3 Coupe isn't just another M3 Coupe with a fancy paint job, each will be equipped with the M3 Competition Package which lowers the ride height by 10mm and includes M3 GTS 19-inch wheels (naturally enough in black) with a wider-than-standard offset for a wider track and greater stability. Electronic Damping Control "with enhanced programming" and higher-threshold programming--which allows the driver to hang it out more--are included as well.
A full listing of equipment for the 2011 BMW Frozen Black Edition M3 Coupe includes:
• BMW Individual Frozen Black Exterior Paint
• Black Extended Novillo leather with Red Contrast Stitching on seats, headrests, door inserts, armrests, middle console, and door pulls.
• Black M3 GTS wheels, 19” diameter with high-performance summer tires
• Red brake calipers
• Gloss black kidney grills
• Gloss black side-gill elements
• Gloss black exhaust pipe tips
Additional specified equipment from M3 catalog:
• M-DCT Transmission with Drivelogic
• Competition Package (Lowered suspensions, sport mapping for EDC/DSC
• Premium Package 2: Power folding auto-dimming mirrors, universal garage-door opener, power front seats, Carbon Leather interior trim, interior mirror with compass, BMW Assist with Bluetooth
• Convenience Package: Anti-theft alarm system, Comfort Access keyless entry system,Park Distance Control (rear), navigation system, voice-command, iPod and USB adapter, Real-time Traffic Information
• Heated Front Seats
• Satellite Radio with 1-year subscription
• BMW Individual Enhanced Premium Sound System
The phone number isn't the only digits prospective owners will have to know. The manufacturer's suggested retail price for the 2011 BMW Frozen Black Edition M3 Coupe--including $875 destination but not the $1,300 federal gas guzzler tax is $79,650.
Still want one? Limber up your dialing finger and loosen your check book. They're going to go fast.