What It's Like to Road Trip and Charge the Ford F-150 Lightning Cross-Country
Lightning Test Pilots
Recently we learned about one of the shortcomings of the Ford F-150 Lightning when it comes to towing a trailer or camper. Today, we are taking a look with the help of two intrepid souls (the driver of which is his first time driving a Ford Lightning) as they put to the test the Ford Lightning’s road trip worthiness without hauling a payload.
Related article: Tesla in an 11 EV 1000 Mile Race
Related article: An Important Tool all Tesla Owners Should Carry to Revive a Dead Tesla
Driving from Michigan to Colorado, the hosts of The Fast Lane Truck YouTube channel show viewers what it is like to drive off the lot with a brand-new Ford Lightning and hit the highway with a quest-like atmosphere to give viewers a feel for what it’s like to drive the Ford Lightning focusing on:
• Range issues
• Using Blue Cruise and its semi-autonomous system during a trial period
• Charging curves to see how quickly charging takes place and with what results
• How much longer a cross-country trip takes with an EV versus an ICE vehicle
• How well its hands-free driving and lane keeping features work
• Ride comfort and miscellaneous related features
• How an EV truck compares to an EV sedan with range efficiency under normal highway speed
• The downsides to working out charging and your stops
• The challenges of physically charging a full-size Ford truck
• Understanding charging “pump” usage
• Using the BlueOval Charge Network app with Electrify America for charging your EV and paying for it
Is the Video Worth Watching?
The value of the video is that it takes an EV newbie-to-a-Ford Lightning approach as viewers learn what life will be like the day you drive off the lot with your new Ford EV. There are definitely things you will want to understand how to do before leaving that lot that are not comparable to buying a new ICE vehicle and hitting the road uninitiated. Plus, you will want to avoid heckling from a Tesla owner watching you trying to work out how non-Tesla charging works at the charging station.
So, yeah…it’s worth watching in spite of multiple ads and pitches from the channel.
That said, here is the video in its entirety. Please note that this is Part 1 of a two-part series.
Here's What It's Like to Roadtrip & CHARGE The New All ELECTRIC Ford F-150 Lightning! (Part 1 of 2)
For additional articles about EVs, here are two popular choices for your consideration:
COMING UP NEXT: EV Owner Reveals 5 Hidden EV Expenses of Owning an EV
Timothy Boyer is a Torque News automotive reporter based in Cincinnati. Experienced with early car restorations, he regularly restores older vehicles with engine modifications for improved performance. Follow Tim on Twitter at @TimBoyerWrites for daily new and used vehicle news.
Image Source: Pexels