The all-new 2024 Subaru Crosstrek could not pull off the MotorTrends Car of The Year award and failed after it made the final 10 model cut. But the 2023 Subaru Outback picks up the car of the year honors. I've been covering the Subaru brand in Russia for over a decade, where the automaker consistently wins awards. This year, it's the Outback that gets a global prize.
For 23 years in Russia, there's been a unique project, "Car of the Year," that helps to reproduce a complete picture of the preferences of car enthusiasts. The annual national award "Car of the Year in Russia" indicates independent public opinion in the automotive market; this year, more than 1 million registered users voted.
The selection of the best cars in their class is carried out in the format of online voting on the award website. The final results of the 23rd award were announced at a press conference in TASS, which brought together leading experts in the automotive market.
Over the years of the award's existence, Subaru vehicles have repeatedly taken first place in various categories. The Subaru Outback brought the brand a particularly valuable anniversary award this year. The Outback won the SUV category for the eighth time.
The total number of Subaru victories at the "Car of the Year in Russia" award is now sixteen.
Car of the Year Awards from previous years:
- 2022: Subaru Outback – Best Off-Road Station wagon
- 2022: Subaru Forester – SUV of the Year (light SUV)
- 2021: Subaru Outback – Best Off-Road Station Wagon
- 2020: Subaru Outback – Best Off-Road Station Wagon
- 2019: Subaru Outback – best off-road station wagon
- 2018: Subaru XV (Crosstrek) – best compact SUV
- 2017: Subaru Outback – best off-road station wagon
- 2016: Subaru Outback – best off-road station wagon
- 2015: Subaru Forester – SUV of the year (light SUV)
- 2014: Subaru Forester – SUV of the year ( light SUV)
- 2011: Subaru Outback - best off-road station wagon
- 2007: Subaru Legacy Outback - best off-road station wagon
- 2006: Subaru Forester - SUV of the year (light SUV)
- 2005: Subaru Legacy Outback - best off-road station wagon
- 2003: Subaru Impreza - best in the nomination "small middle class"
Subaru has fans all over the globe and not just in North America. It's not a surprise that Subaru's all-wheel-drive models are popular with Russians. The winters are cold, and the roads are snowy and icy. It's the perfect environment for the Subaru Outback, Subaru Forester, and other all-wheel-drive models.
What sets the Subaru Outback apart from other family SUVs?
I've mentioned numerous times that customers with active lifestyles pick the Outback for its standard all-wheel-drive, 8.7 inches of ground clearance, X-Mode, and new dual-function X-Mode for off-pavement capability, along with having similar driving dynamics and fuel economy of a car. It's a rare combination not found in any other vehicle.
It's why the Outback midsize SUV is the most popular Subaru model in Russia and picks up its eighth award in the country. Where the all-new 2024 Crosstrek failed in the U.S., the 2023 Subaru Outback won the SUV Car of the Year in Russia.
Thanks for reading, everyone. I hope you enjoyed this Subaru Outback story. See you tomorrow for my latest Subaru Report.
For additional articles related to the Subaru Outback, here are a few of my top stories you may enjoy.
My Must-Read Top Picks
- KBB's 13 Best SUVs For Driving In Snow - Only 2 Subarus Qualify
- Want To See Bigfoot? Buy A Subaru Outback Wilderness
- Subaru Plant Where The 2024 Outback Is Made Pulls Off A First-Ever
Check ot the 2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness XMode Extreme Snow Test from Driving Sports TV
Denis Flierl - I have over twenty years of Subaru and automotive journalism experience. I enjoy bringing you, the Subaru fans and customers, the most up-to-date Subaru news, reviews, and new model information. You'll find the latest Subaru stories on the Subaru page. Follow me on my The Dirty Subaru website, Dirty Subaru blog, SubaruReport, All Subaru, WRXSTI, @DenisFlierl, Facebook, and Instagram.
I’ve got you covered! - I cover all Subaru all the time - It’s called the “Subaru Report.” Check back daily for my expert Subaru analysis!
Please leave your comments below, share the article with friends, and post X to your followers!