FCA offers students an incredible design opportunity
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is offering high school students the chance to design the performance car of the future. The automaker is unveiling a contest an inviting teens from all over the country to envision what a Dodge will look like thirty years from now. Will vehicles be totally autonomous, fly, drive across water? Teens have the opportunity to tell the automaker what they believe future vehicles will look like.
The overall winner could receive a $50,000 dollar scholarship to the prestigious Lawrence Technological University. Other prizes include design classes and Apple products. Teachers are encouraged to download information about the contest and post it for all students to see
FCA prides itself on design. Noted designer Ralph Gilles is known world-wide for his beautiful and functional concepts. The contest is meant to encourage future designers to pursue automotive careers. FCA says “Launched in 2013, the FCA US Product Design team created its Drive for Design contest as a creative way to educate young artists about careers in automotive design. Starting locally in Detroit, Drive for Design has grown to become a national contest that has awarded students with prizes and rare opportunities to help further develop their design skills.”
Nearly every vehicle manufacturer sponsors programs to encourage students to consider future careers in automotive related fields. There are almost always openings in design and engineering.
Last year’s winner was from Ohio. According to the Drive for Design website, First Place Prizes include:
• $50,000 scholarship to Lawrence Technological University (to be awarded by Lawrence Technological University; available ONLY to a student who is currently a junior and must be officially admitted to LTU for Fall 2018)
• Three-day/two-night stay in Michigan (includes flight, hotel, and rental car for any winner who lives more than 50 miles from Detroit)
• Two week summer automotive design course at Lawrence Technological University (includes housing, meals and field trips)
• Guests at EyesOn Design Vision Honored Black Tie and Silent Auction, along with FCA design team members
• Three passes to EyesOn Design Car Show in Grosse Pointe, Michigan
• MacBook Pro
More information about the contest and the entry rules is available at FCAdrivefordesign.com