2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2018 Subaru XV
Denis Flierl's picture

Orders for New Japan-Spec Subaru Crosstrek Surpass 11,000 in First Month; The Top Color is a Surprise

The new 2018 Subaru Crosstrek (XV Japan) is a huge success before it makes its dealer launch. 11,000+ have been pre-ordered in its first month.

Subaru Corporation was counting on the all-new 2018 Crosstrek crossover to be a huge success, and it has already exceeded expectations in Japan. In its first month, orders for the all-new Subaru Crosstrek (XV in Japan) have reached 11,085 units. Subaru released the newly-remodeled crossover for pre-orders on March 9 and interest in the new model took off.

The Japan-spec 2018 XV comes in four variants, with a new 1.6-liter four cylinder 115hp boxer engine offered in 1.6i base and 1.6i-L model for the first time. It also comes with a 2.0-liter boxer engine, like U.S. models, in 2.0i-L and 2.0i-S models. All models come standard with the new-generation EyeSight driver assist system and a Lineartronic CVT automatic transmission.

Most buyers choose the 2.0L variant

Subaru says they have sold 255 1.6i models (2%), 2,112 1.6i-L (19%), 3,999 2.0i-L (36%) and 4,719 2.0i-S models (43%) for Subaru XV total of 11,085 units. Most Japanese buyers (79%) are opting for the larger 2.0-liter powertrain over the smaller 1.6L engine.

They even break it down by color with the Crystal White Pearl models accounting for 30% of all sales followed closely by the new Cool Gray Khaki color at 28%. Only 3% of buyers chose the new Sunshine Orange exterior color.

The next-generation 2018 Subaru Crosstrek (XV in global markets) was first uncovered at the 2017 Geneva International Motor Show, and it gets significant changes underneath that enhances safety, ride comfort, and agility. It rides on the new Subaru Global Platform (SGP) that all next-generation Subarus will adopt in the future. It’s already a huge success in its home country of Japan with 11,085 units sold in the first month.

Photo credit: Subaru

Sign-up to our email newsletter for daily perspectives on car design, trends, events and news, not found elsewhere.

Share this content.