2017 Genesis G80 Wins Top IIHS, NHTSA Safety Awards
Hyundai’s Genesis subsidiary has scored a coup with its model G80 winning two of the highest safety honors available to the auto industry. The Genesis G80 was awarded top honors by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
The 2017 G80 was honored with the IIHS 2016 Top Safety Pick +, the insurance safety group’s best occupant protection rating, while it earned the NHTSA’s 5-Star Safety Rating for its advanced passenger protection. Each rating helps consumers pick vehicles offering the highest level of crash protection. The ratings also identify vehicles with the most active and passive advanced safety technology.
Safety Is A Development Priority
“Occupant safety is a key development priority for all Genesis vehicles, and the G80 is no exception,” Erwin Raphael, general manager of Genesis, U.S., said. He emphasized that the G80 has a full suite of standardized advanced safety technology.
“Safety is a hallmark of the Genesis brand…we are committed to offering cutting-edge innovations and engineering developments to meet the needs of our customers and achieve these top safety honors,” he continued.
IIHS has one of the most rigorous testing programs in the automotive world. It rates vehicles in six crucial areas:
- Small front overlap crash
- Moderate front overlap crash
- Side and roof strength
- Head restraints
- Standard/optional front crash prevention system
Safety Criteria Described
To be awarded the Top Safety Pick+ honor a vehicle must score highly in all five crashworthiness tests and it must gain an advanced or superior rating for front crash protection. NHTSA is the only organization that rates rollover resistance, in addition to frontal and side crashworthiness.
The Genesis G80 offers many standard advanced safety technology features including driver awareness to total occupant safety. The safety innovations even look out for the safety of other drivers on the road.
Highlights of the advanced safety and installed technology include:
- Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
- Blind Spot Detection (BSD) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW) with Haptic Steering Wheel
- High Beam Assist (HBA)
- Pre-active seat belt and nine airbags
- Smart Cruise Control with Stop/Start capability
- Electronic Parking Brake with Automatic Vehicle Hold
- 8-inch touchscreen navigation system with rearview camera
Full Safety Feature List
Other features on the G80 include:
- A parking assistance system with eight ultrasonic sensors located on the front and rear bumpers.
- A CO₂ sensor under the glovebox to help assure driver awareness
- Electronic stability control
- Energy absorbing front seats
- Nine airbags, including dual front airbags, driver’s knee airbag, front and outboard rear Seat-mounted side-impact airbags and roof-mounted side curtain airbags for front and back outboard seat occupants
- Stanard LED daylight running lights to improve visibility
- Tire pressure monitoring system