New Toyota Tacoma Warranty Extension For Universal Joint & Prop Shaft Vibrations 2005-2011
Toyota is now extending the warranty for its 2005-2011 Tacomas for customers who experience trouble with driveshaft vibrations and shuddering. The Toyota program is called "Customer Support Program ZH2 - Coverage For Propeller Shaft Universal Joints." Torque News has viewed the documentation on a recent repair courtesy of Tacoma owner and Facebook Toyota Tacoma Enthusiasts Club contributor, Daniel Delatorres, who gave us permission to use his image above.
Tacoma prop shaft, or driveshaft and universal join troubles are not new to owners. CarComplaints lists 41 technical service bulletins for the 2007 Tacoma (just an example) and at least ten of those are related to the prop shaft.
Daniel reports that his (unlifted) Tacoma experienced a vibration and he took it to his local dealer. To his surprise, the dealer replaced both halves of the prop shaft assembly and the universal joint and hanger. There was no charge for the service or parts. In addition, Daniel was provided with a Toyota internal memo to dealer service department managers dated October 30, 2017.
The key elements are:
- 2005 through 2011 Model year coverage
- Produced from Mid-September '04 through early December 2010
- Unlimited Mileage
- Program runs till April 2019
- Vehicles repaired once will then be covered 12 years from the primary coverage (unless we misunderstand that)
Our thanks to Daniel for his detailed overview and his permission to share this with a wider audience. If you are not already a member, Facebook's Toyota Tacoma Enthusiasts is a great club for owners.
- Why Toyota Tacoma owners should not fear the frame recall
- Toyota Struggles To Manage Tacoma Rear Differential Recall