The Developing World’s Answer to Tesla: China’s Great Wall Motor’s ORA R1 $8,680 BEV
While the Tesla Model S and X populates most of the fully industrialized garages of the second estates as the Model 3 takes care of most of the bourgeoisie, it is the mini BEV that will take care of the third estate of most developing countries. And it is the kind of vehicle like the Great Wall Motor’s $8,680 all-electric ORA R1 BEV that will enable car makers to hurry them along:
- China’s Great Wall Motor’s $8,680 all-electric ORA R1 BEV is the third world wave of the future.
- Mega electrics like VW Group, BYD, and Great Wall see potential in emerging markets with mini BEVs. They will take advantage of it.
- It is these kinds of vehicles, not a Model 3, or Bolt, or even the cheapest electric car sold in industrialized markets that’ll proliferate like mini BEVs in emerging markets.
- ORA is a $9-$12k vehicle that’s a perfect price point for many working class in these markets as either their first car or first electric car.
- A 200 mile range (more like a Nissan Leaf 150 mile range which for a mini car in this market is still good) makes them perfect for remote areas where charging might be a challenge or dense cities where parking is a premium.
- The vehicle is equipped with only a 35 kW electric motor, which is small, but suitable for scale of economies.
- Possible top speed of about 100 km/h (~62 mph), suitable for urban and the occasional highway driving.
- Selling point is it’s price: The Great Wall Motor says that the “subsidized price of the new model, ORA R1, ranges after incentives from 59,800 RMB to 77,800 RMB (USD 8,680 to USD 11,293, per the CNY/USD rate as of Dec. 25, 2018).”
- The vehicle is going on sale right now but only in China for now.
- Comes with a three-year or 120,000 km guarantee for the whole vehicle, and an eight-year or 150,000 km guarantee for core components.
As the BEV electrification race accelerates and intensifies in the fully industrialized parts of the world to see electric cars come much sooner and gas cars eliminated even more swiftly than anticipated, so too it will come to bear in the developing parts as well. It may may not come in the form of a proletariat Model 3 for the world market, but something perhaps way smaller and more affordable, and known as the mini-BEV will substitute for it.
China’s Great Wall Motor’s $8,680 all-electric ORA R1 BEV is the third world wave of the future. Only available in China at the moment, this is the perfect car China needs right now to get its lagging western half of the country up to speed in China’s quest to fully develop its entire country.
And the ORA R1 is the perfect vehicle to become developing nations’ global car in that process. Underpowered and probably not as crash worthy for American regulators, this microcar sits at the right size at the right power and at the right price for the right moment for places like India, Brazil, Central and South America, even in industrialized places like Hong Kong and large European cities where parking comes at a premium and traffic holds up the speed limits in the first place.
What do you think of the ORA R1? :Let us know below!
Photos from the Great Wall Motor