Protecting Your Prius from Catalytic Converter Theft
In earlier articles we’ve learned that in California the 2020-2021 Toyota Prius is the leader when it comes to the vehicle model most likely to be the victim of catalytic converter theft. Nationwide, the Toyota Prius comes in at #10.
Despite the fact that catalytic converter theft is a huge problem, automakers have not done much about the problem to help consumers. Until now.
According to a recent news piece by the CarScoops website, Toyota is now partnering with MILLERCAT CORP with a “Cat Shield” catalytic converter anti-theft device as an optional accessory at a cost much less than having to replace a stolen converter.
“The option has been first launched for the 2023 Toyota Prius and can be ordered for $140 when making a new order on the Toyota website or at a dealership" states the news piece.
According to MILLERCAT CORP about their Cat Shield product:
• Our shields are made from high strength, lightweight aluminum to provide the best protection with minimal added weight.
• We use as many existing factory mounting points as possible to ensure a consistent, accurate, and secure fit.
• Our shield is the only removable shield in the market. This allows you to do work on your vehicle like change your O2 sensors without ruining your shield or vehicle.
• We use tamper resistant screws and rivet nuts to provide ultimate protection while being removable.
• Our louver vents provide the best ventilation and cooling for your vehicle while protecting your undercar from loose debris.
Whether or not the $140 add-in option includes installation, the cost may differ depending on the dealership and could be a negotiating point to use toward getting the best price on a new car.
However, installation is reportedly simple enough that many car owners can DIY it themselves to save money.
As an example, here is a video from the MILLERCAT CORP YouTube channel that demonstrates how it is done with earlier models of the 2016-2020 Prius.
2016-2020 Gen 4 Prius Cat Shield Installation Video
Older Prius Model Cat Shield Installation
In addition, the Toyota Maintenance YouTube channel also recently did a show and tell of how the Cat Shield can be DIY installed on an even older 2nd generation Prius.
Prius Gen 2 Catalytic Converter Shield from CAT SHIELD
For additional articles related to catalytic converter theft, here are a few for your consideration:
COMING UP NEXT: The Harbor Freight Gift Every Car Owner Needs
Timothy Boyer is a Torque News automotive reporter based in Cincinnati. Experienced with early car restorations, he regularly restores older vehicles with engine modifications for improved performance. Follow Tim on Twitter at @TimBoyerWrites for daily new and used vehicle news.
Image Source: Pixabay