The Dark Secret Behind EV Maintenance Says This Mechanic
The EV Maintenance-Free Myth
Previously we’ve learned about some of the pluses behind owning an EV such as fewer parts are used to build one which thereby reduces the need for frequent maintenance and repair in comparison to a gasoline powered vehicle.
Related article: The Most Common Maintenance Issues of Electric Vehicles
One good example is this once in a lifetime Toyota Prius maintenance you will ever have to do that is a real money saver.
However, this does not mean that EVs will be maintenance-free. Only that HOW an EV is maintained---or should be maintained---will change. In other words, if a prospective EV shopper is under the impression that owning an EV will make car ownership cheaper and easier, he or she could be in for a rude awakening.
That is the message behind a recent Scotty Kilmer YouTube channel episode where Scotty talks about the hidden costs behind EV maintenance with a primary focus on the tires---but does include other maintenance cost factors to be considered.
Related article: EV Owner Reveals 5 Hidden EV Expenses of Owning an EV
In the video you will find out:
• Why free tire rotations might not be an option or one that you will skip.
• The things new EV car owners do that significantly reduces tire lifespan.
• How EV tires differ from regular tires.
• If you can (or should) use non-EV tires to save money.
• Are Tesla EV tires better than other EV-supplied tires?
• Do Tesla tires really differ from premium tires for ICE vehicles?
• The disadvantages of Tesla’s tires for some EV owners.
Related article: Protecting Your Tesla from Lightning
Related article: Consumer Reports Treadwear Testing Reveals How Long Some Tire Types Really Do Last
That said, here is the video that is recommended to watch in its entirety to learn the answers to these questions:
No One is Telling You the Truth About the Real Cost of Owning an Electric Car, So I Have To
For additional articles that are tire-related for both EV and non-EV cars, here are a few selected pieces for your consideration:
• Consumer Reports Analysts Recommend Against Buying These Tires
• Everything You Need to Know About Buying Car and Truck Tires
• Best Tire Brands of 2022 Recommend by Consumer Reports
COMING UP NEXT: New Ford Broncos are Having Major Engine Problems
Timothy Boyer is a Torque News automotive reporter based in Cincinnati. Experienced with early car restorations, he regularly restores older vehicles with engine modifications for improved performance. Follow Tim on Twitter at @TimBoyerWrites for daily new and used vehicle news.
Image Source: Pixabay