2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Incredible 1-Year Recap
One year ago Mazda launched the fourth-generation, all-new 2016 MX-5 Miata. Known to insiders and fans as the ND, the 2016 Miata brought modern amenities to the car many already thought of as the perfect roadster.
A little background from before the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata became available.
- September 3rd, 2014 - Duran Duran Launches the New Miata
- October 2nd, 2014 Mazda confirms the Miata powertrain - Everyone had it wrong
Here are the events of the past 12 months:
- April 2015 - Mazda begins to take orders for the 2016 Miata
- Late April 2015 - First 2016 Miatas built in Hiroshima plant
- May 19th - Torque News confirms Mazda plans to fix NC Miata's worst fault
- June 12th - Automobile Magazine awards the Miata while it is still unavailable
- June 22nd. NEMPA (I am a member) awards outgoing 2015 NC Miata. Better late than wrong
- July 13th, 2015 - The first 2016 Miatas arrive at US ports - All red
- July 23, 2015 - New 2016 Miata confirmed to be a sub-6-second 0-60 MPH car
- August 2015 - New Miata outsells the Porsche Boxster
- August 25th, 2015 - Mazda shows off new Miata Cup Racecar
- January 10th, 2016 - Mazda Miata named to Torque News 10-Best List
- February 12, 2016 - U.S. News names Miata Best Sports Car For the Money
- March 2, 2016 - Miata outsells every Porsche car combined
- March 10th, 2016 - Consumer Reports Names Miata Best Sports Car Under $40K
- March 23rd, 2016 - Miata Retractable Fastback revealed
- March 25th, 2016 - Miata is World Design Car of the Year
- April 25th, 2016 - Mazda sells one millionth Miata
- May 11th, 2016 - Miata named Best Performance Compact by TAWA
On the path to to being the most awarded car ever, the newest Miata has had an impressive first year.