How Much Fuel Chevrolet Volt Has Saved Since its Inception
According to an announcement from the company, Chevrolet Volt owners collectively have saved a supertanker of gasoline since the electric car with extended range went on sale, compiling 40 million miles on electricity and avoiding the use of more than 2.1 million gallons of gasoline.
Here are some facts on super tankers, according to the Worsley School website
• Among tanker ships, the very largest are called supertankers.
• The largest of these are the Very Large Crude Carrier (VLCC), which can carry 200,000 tons or more of oil
• The Ultra Large Crude Carrier (ULCC) can manage over 300,000 tons.
• These ships can weigh 200,000 to 400,000 tons all by themselves. The top speed of a supertanker when carrying a full load can be as much as 18 mph
• VLCCs are so big that their load of crude oil, held in several cavernous tanks each the size of a cathedral, could meet the energy needs of a small city for a year. Three supertankers can carry all of the oil used by Japan in a day.
• VLCCs are more than 300 meters in length, (almost a quarter of a mile).
• They are as long as the world's tallest buildings are high.
• They're also half a football field wide.
Chevrolet recently introduced a rolling ticker on its website that showcases real-time daily driving statistics for Volt owners based on OnStar data. Results in total number of miles driven, electric miles driven and gallons of gas saved are viewable. As of today:
40 Million Total Chevrolet Volt Electric Miles driven equivalent to:
- 16,373 trips across the United States (2,443 miles from New York to Los Angeles)
- 1,606 trips around the Earth (24,901 miles each)
- 167 trips to the Moon (238,657 miles each)
OK, let's just say you could drive a Chevrolet Volt to the moon. Here's an interesting factoid courtesy of TorqueNews.com, based on Chevrolet figures. The average Volt owner would have to stop for fuel 266 times on their way to the moon. Of course, we're not rocket scientists so we don't know how much fuel would have to be burned breaching the earth's atmosphere and all that.
2,130,000 Gallons of Gas Saved equivalent to: