The old advertising slogan is “Baseball, Apple Pie and Chevrolet” but perhaps it should be “Appearing Now on a Screen Near You”. The 2021 Chevrolet Suburban is one of the most recognizable vehicles in the world. The Suburban has appeared in more than 1,750 movies and television series since 1952. It was the first vehicle to be honored with its own Hollywood Star, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Award of Excellence, in 2019. Now, that Hollywood Star is enshrined at a well-known Texas entertainment district.
Star’s New Permanent Location
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce President accompanied the Star to its new home in the Arlington, Texas, entertainment district, which is located between the ballpark and the football stadium. The 2021 Chevrolet Suburban is built at the Arlington Assembly Plant.
“The Suburban is truly a staple in both Texas and Hollywood, and the city of Arlington is honored to play a role in recognizing the Suburban today and every day at the GM Arlington Assembly Plant,” Arlington Mayor Jeff Williams said. “We’re also proud to proclaim today, June 21, ‘Suburban Day’ to recognize the Suburban’s continuing legacy in Texas, Hollywood and around the world.”
According to Chevrolet:
- Suburban has appeared in at least one television series every year since 1956, and at least one film every year since 1960.
- Suburban has also appeared in over 30 award-nominated films.
- Suburban is the first vehicle ever awarded an Award of Excellence star by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which was presented on Dec. 5, 2019.
- Suburban was first introduced in 1935 and is the longest-running nameplate in automotive history, and continues to be an American icon both on the road and on the big screen.
- Suburban started its production in Arlington in 1999.
“There is no other character actor like the Chevy Suburban. It can fit into any type of role with ease. When it arrives in a movie or TV series, it can instantly bring a feeling of significance, suspense or knowing the day is about to be saved,” said Hollywood Chamber of Commerce President Rana Ghadban. “This marks the first Award of Excellence star outside of California. We are excited to permanently place the Suburban’s Award of Excellence star in its home state of Texas.”
Suburban’s Texas Home
Earlier this month, the Arlington Assembly Plant built its 12 millionth vehicle-a 2021 Suburban. It produces the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban for 33 countries around the world. The plant employs 5,677 workers. Approximately 1,200 vehicles are produced every day at the Arlington Assembly.
Follow Mary Conway at @maryconwaymedia and send her car news tips for future stories.