Ford pushing for Electric Vehicle preparation in U.S. cities
Ford is preparing to launch the Focus Electric this year and C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid in 2012. Meanwhile, major U.S. cities are also preparing the new electric vehicles.
Key actions Ford has prioritized in working with cities and utility partners include:
• Creating a utility rate structure that encourages "off-peak" or nighttime charging to lessen and more evenly distribute demand on the grid.
• Streamlining the permit and inspection process in support of customer and commercial EV station installation.
• Integrating advisory EV committees with representatives from electric utilities, manufacturers, dealers, municipalities, customers and local coalitions.
• An urban planning approach to optimizing placement of public/commercial EV charging locations.
• Creating incentives that offset part of customer costs for installation of charging stations.