OnStar up to 439 million connections and still counting
Few realize that OnStar was originally developed as an airbag deployment notification system on three 1997 Cadillac models. Since then, OnStar has evolved to offer unmatched safety and security services. Today, for example, OnStar also provides everyday services like Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Hands-Free Calling and the RemoteLink Mobile App, leading to more than 439 million interactions – and counting.
According to the latest GM news release, over the last 16 years, OnStar has assisted in 191,000 Automatic Crash Response calls. Here are some other numbers contributing to the gaudy statistic:
- More than 94 million Turn-by-Turn routes
- More than 1 million Emergency Services delivered
- 6.9 billion Hands-Free Calling minutes purchased
- More than 581,000 Good Samaritan calls
- More than 213 million Vehicle Diagnostic emails sent
- More than 5.8 million Remote Door Unlocks
- 8.5 million RemoteLink Mobile App requests
- More than 2.9 million Roadside Assistance responses
- 59,000 Stolen Vehicle Assistances
So, what’s in a number or two? Point is, OnStar has become an integral part of the automotive connectivity scheme for General Motors (NYSE: GM). Yet, the company has been able to extend itself beyond GM products, especially since OnStar FMV became the company’s new aftermarket system.