Help from the Inside
There’s no question that today’s cars are becoming more complicated than those from just a decade ago. On top of that, you also have a wide range of electric vehicles, hybrid vehicles, and those in-between plug-in hybrid vehicles, all of which have their particular pros and cons (as well as quirks) of ownership…even between models.
In other words, owning a new make and model today is not as intuitive as you may have been used to in the past, which is a common problem I am faced with whenever I---against my better judgment---deign to hire out a rental car with all of its inherent problems and find myself spending a good 15 minutes figuring out just enough of a car's features to get me out of the parking garage safely enough to tackle unfamiliar traffic.
Fortunately, there is help. One source is the Steven Welch YouTube channel where the host advertises on his channel as a salesman who is there to help you learn more about Toyota and other makes of cars you will find on the lots where confusion is at its worst in many cases:
“Learning the tech info about your Toyota. With all of the new technology on the newest Toyota vehicles it is rare to find a salesperson that knows what they are selling: Automotive market information. Information about Toyota vehicles and comparison to competitor vehicles. I hope to help to find the best vehicle for people and also to help them to understand the features of those vehicles. I look forward to being your salesman!”
Common Hybrid Questions Answered
That said, follow along with the host as he answers the common questions he hears from car shoppers when it comes to hybrid vehicles as they are trying to figure out if going hybrid is a good fit for their next car to meet their car driving needs.
In the video you will learn:
- Whether hybrids cost more to maintain.
- Toyota’s warranty on their hybrid models.
- A maintenance example of a once in the lifetime of your hybrid repair you will have to have done and why.
- Whether you have to “plug-in” a hybrid vehicle.
- Are hybrids still ugly compared to other model types?
- Do hybrids require special “hypermiling” driving?
- Do hybrids cost significantly more than their equivalent gas-only models?
- Important battery differences between hybrid and EV batteries.
- When hybrids did have battery-life issues.
- Are hybrids harder to work on?
- Are parts harder to get in a hybrid vehicle over its gas-only equivalent?
- Which really has more power---hybrid or its gas-only equivalent?
- Will a hybrid last just as long as a gas-only vehicle?
- Can a hybrid be used in colder regions?
The Value of the Video
The value of this video is that it addresses the misconceptions of owning a hybrid and reveals the realities car shoppers need to know before buying one. Plus, what you need to look at to know if paying more for a Toyota Hybrid RAV4 makes sense for you.
For additional articles related to hybrid cars, here are a few for your consideration:
- Important Test Before Deciding Between the New Hybrid and Non-Hybrid Toyota Tundra
- Why Hybrid Cars "Suck?" Not This One, The Toyota Prius, Mechanic Points Out
- Best Hybrid SUVs for Less Than $35,000
Timothy Boyer is an automotive reporter based in Cincinnati. Experienced with early car restorations, he regularly restores older vehicles with engine modifications for improved performance. Follow Tim on Twitter at @TimBoyerWrites for daily news and topics related to new and used cars and trucks.
Image source: Deposit Photos