With the price of regular unleaded gas reaching nearly $4.00 per gallon, according to AAA research, what are the SUVs with the best fuel economy you can buy right now? U.S. News gathered a list of the most fuel-efficient Sport Utility Vehicles on sale today to help you get your shopping journey started down the right path.
The twenty best SUVs listed here are ranked by their combined fuel economy. Are you looking for a small SUV that combines fuel efficiency, standard all-wheel-drive, superior all-weather and off-pavement performance, and the latest safety tech? In that case, the 2024 Subaru Crosstrek is the best pick for active customers.
Here are the most fuel-efficient new Sport Utility Vehicles.
- 2024 Subaru Crosstrek: 29 MPG Combined | U.S. News Overall Score: 7.9/10
- 2024 Buick Encore GX: 30 MPG Combined | U.S. News Overall Score: 8.0/10
- 2023 Toyota RAV4: 30 MPG Combined | U.S. News Overall Score: 8.1/10
- 2023 Chevrolet Trailblazer: 31 MPG Combined | U.S. News Overall Score: 7.8/10
- 2023 Volkswagen Taos: 31 MPG Combined | U.S. News Overall Score: 8.1/10
- 2024 Kia Seltos: 31 MPG Combined | U.S. News Overall Score: 8.4/10
- 2023 Toyota Corolla Cross: 32 MPG Combined | U.S. News Overall Score: 7.7/10
- 2023 Hyundai Kona: 32 MPG Combined | U.S. News Overall Score: 8.4/10
- 2023 Nissan Kicks: 33 MPG Combined | U.S. News Score: 7.8/10
- 2023 Nissan Rogue: 33 MPG Combined | U.S. News Overall Score: 8.2/10
- 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe Hybrid: 34 MPG Combined | U.S. News Score: 8.3/10
- 2023 Lexus RX350h: 36 MPG Combined | U.S. News Overall Score: 7.8/10
- 2023 Toyota Highlander Hybrid: 36 MPG Combined | U.S. News Score: 8.1/10
- 2023 Kia Sorento Hybrid: 37 MPG Combined | U.S. News Score: 8.0/10
- 2023 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid: 38 MPG Combined | U.S. News Score: 8.7/10
- 2023 Toyota Venza: 39 MPG Combined | U.S. News Score: 7.6/10
- 2023 Lexus NX Hybrid: 39 MPG Combined | U.S. News Score: 8.2/10
- 2023 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid: 40 MPG Combined | U.S. News Score: 8.2/10
- 2023 Honda CR-V Hybrid: 40 MPG Combined | U.S. News Score: 8.3/10
- 2024 Lexus UX Hybrid: 42 MPG Combined | U.S. News Overall Score: 7.1/10
- 2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid: 42 MPG Combined | U.S. News Score: 8.7/10
What does U.S. News say about the 2024 Subaru Crosstrek?
U.S. News gives the Crosstrek an overall score of 7.9/10.
U.S. News says, "Subaru has redesigned the Crosstrek for the 2024 model year. The base engine provides 152 horsepower and adequate acceleration, delivering solid gas mileage."
"This SUV's generous ground clearance means it can go farther off the beaten path than most will ever need. As always, the Crosstrek comes standard with all-wheel drive, ready to confidently tackle weather and slippery terrain."
"Inside, the Crosstrek feels high-quality and solidly built, but more interesting cabins exist. The comfortable cabin houses a dual 7-inch screen infotainment system with dated graphics that can be laggy at times. Smartphone mirroring is standard, and navigation and wireless device charging are available."
What is the fuel efficiency of the 2024 Subaru Crosstrek?
The remodeled 2024 Subaru Crosstrek Sport and Limited trims with the 2.5-liter get an EPA-estimated 26/33 city/highway mpg and 29 combined mpg. The EPA has not released fuel mileage for the Crosstrek Wilderness.
The 2024 Crosstrek Premium trim with the 2.0-liter engine gets an EPA-estimated 27/34 mpg and 29 combined mpg with the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) automatic.
What type of gas does the 2024 Subaru Crosstrek require?
The 2024 Crosstrek runs on regular 87-octane unleaded gasoline, so you don't need the higher mid-grade or premium fuel to get the best city or highway mileage.
What is the price of the 2024 Crosstrek?
The 2024 Crosstrek comes in five trim levels for U.S. customers. The Base trim starts at $26,290 (the same MSRP as the 2023 Base model equipped with the Lineartronic CVT automatic transmission).
The 2024 Crosstrek Premium has a starting price of $27,440, Sport ($30,290), and Limited ($32,190). Pricing includes destination and delivery fees ($1,225). The all-new 2024 Crosstrek Wilderness costs $33,290, including dealer destination and delivery fees.
Check Out This Related Story: The All-New 2024 Subaru Crosstrek Wilderness Trim, Pricing And Model Guide
What sets the Crosstrek apart from the other fuel-efficient SUVs?
The Subaru Crosstrek comes with 8.7 inches of ground clearance, which no competitor exceeds (9.3 inches on Wilderness). Crosstrek also comes with X-Mode on Base and Premium trim levels for all-weather performance and dual function X-Mode on Sport, Limited, and Wilderness trims for improved off-pavement performance.
For active customers looking for superior all-wheel-drive performance, safety tech, utility, and fuel efficiency, the 2024 Subaru Crosstrek is the best pick.
Check Out This Hot Topic: Consumer Reports 9 Most Popular New SUVs - It Now Includes Subaru’s Hottest Model
Denis Flierl brings over thirty years of combined auto industry and automotive journalism experience to Torque News readers. He is an accredited Rocky Mountain Automotive Press (RMAP) member. The last twelve years have been spent with Torque News, covering Subaru vehicles and the latest news. Check back daily for his expert Subaru analysis. You'll find the latest stories on the Torque News Subaru page. Follow Denis on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Subaru Report - We’ve got you covered! Check back tomorrow for more unique, informative SUBARU news, reviews, and previews you can trust.
Please leave your comments below, share the article with friends, and tweet it to your followers!
Photo credit: Subaru