Kia Will Debut Second Generation cee’d at Geneva Motor Show
The new cee’d is longer, wider and lower than its predecessor, with the same long wheelbase. That fairly sums up the Kia Forte that is now on the market in the U.S. The cee’d and the Forte are not sold in similar markets, except apparently Russia where both models are offered.
The simplicity of its coupe-like proportions is emphasized by a steeply raked A-pillar, a low belt-line in the front and lengthened side windows. The front of the new cee’d is dominated by the latest interpretation of Kia’s trademark ‘tiger-nose’ grille and aggressive, wraparound headlamp clusters housing signature LED daytime running lights.
Kia explains the other design cues of the cee’d:
• In profile, pronounced front and rear wings emphasize the car’s wide track and solid stance. Above strongly sculpted door surfaces, the steeply raked A-pillar, sweeping roofline and integral rear spoiler accentuate the sporting aesthetics of the new model’s generous glasshouse.
• Throughout, the exterior is accented by numerous small yet highly significant detail touches which add to the prestige and premium feel of the new cee’d without detracting from the purity and elegance of the overall design.
• These include a new, bolder, more sophisticated Kia badge, the indicator blade protrusion in the front headlamps, the Kia-signature windscreen head castellations, the chrome side glazing surround and the cee’d-unique, aerodynamic shaping of the tail lamp which extends into the adjacent bodywork.
• ￼The new cee’d features a completely new interior hallmarked by a more premium look and feel, higher perceived quality, improved switchgear, touch-screen technology and enhanced driving position ergonomics.
• The dashboard layout features a cockpit-like design with an aircraft-themed, driver- oriented fascia. The main control panel wraps around the steering wheel, placing all switchgear within easy reach of the driver, and the main control groups such as audio and air-conditioning have been segregated to bring a more premium, luxurious, big car feel to the interior.
• Carefully considered precision detailing gives the cabin a more prestigious look and feel than that of the current generation model. Soft touch materials add a new tactility to the driving environment. Instruments and switchgear are picked out in very thin chrome, the door handles are built up in a layered sandwich of high quality materials and the door opener itself has a sculpted, one-piece, shell-like quality reflecting the premium values of the new interior design.
Expect the Kia cee’d to make a splash in Europe after its Geneva Motor Show introduction because Europeans are fans of bigger cars that aren’t quite American-sized behemoths. Plus, like most Kia products, its price has to be considered affordable for the European market but no price has been set yet.