How Much Fuel Chevrolet Volt Has Saved Since its Inception
According to an announcement from the company, Chevrolet Volt owners collectively have saved a supertanker of gasoline since the electric car with extended range went on sale, compiling 40 million miles on electricity and avoiding the use of more than 2.1 million gallons of gasoline.
Here are some facts on super tankers, according to the Worsley School website
• Among tanker ships, the very largest are called supertankers.
• The largest of these are the Very Large Crude Carrier (VLCC), which can carry 200,000 tons or more of oil
• The Ultra Large Crude Carrier (ULCC) can manage over 300,000 tons.
• These ships can weigh 200,000 to 400,000 tons all by themselves. The top speed of a supertanker when carrying a full load can be as much as 18 mph
• VLCCs are so big that their load of crude oil, held in several cavernous tanks each the size of a cathedral, could meet the energy needs of a small city for a year. Three supertankers can carry all of the oil used by Japan in a day.
• VLCCs are more than 300 meters in length, (almost a quarter of a mile).
• They are as long as the world's tallest buildings are high.
• They're also half a football field wide.